Before You Begin Your Garage Installation
Swisstrax interlocking flooring tiles must be site conditioned at room temperature (72° F or higher) for a period of 24 hours prior to installation. It is ideal to put the tiles which will be placed at the front of the garage in the direct sunlight for a period of time prior to installation to allow the tiles to expand, especially if they will be exposed to direct sunlight when the garage door is open.
Step 1: Preparation (Optional)
- Clear the flooring surface of any removable objects and or items.
- Sweep or vacuum any excess dirt and debris off of the flooring surface.
Step 2: Locate Your Starting Point
- In your garage stand facing your garage door opening.
- Locate the top-left corner of your garage.
- *NOTE: A minimum expansion gap of ¼’’ for 15.75″ tiles and ½’’ for all other styles should be left at the walls and/or any other immovable objects such as cabinets, vehicle lifts, support beams, etc.
Step 3: Installing Your First Tile
- Place Tile #1 (Tile A) in the top left corner with the pegged “male” sides facing the left wall and garage walls.
- Remember to leave a 1/4″ expansion gap be tween the tile and wall.
Step 4: Installing the Next Tile
- Work left to right, interlock Tile B with Tile A making sure that loops and pegs are facing the same direction.
- Continue with your first row until the right wall is reached.
- Return to the left wall and repeat steps 4-5 until the first three rows are completed.
Step 5: Completing the First Row
Step 6: Installing Additional Rows
Step 7: Installing Edges
In your delivery, you received either looped “female” edges or pegged “male” edges
- Following completion of the first three rows, connect the edges to the first installed row nearest to the garage door entry.
- Edges are only needed between the garage door rails. Refer to the “Edge Installation” portion of Install Instructions.
Position the edges
- This step begins by closing your garage door.
- Gently push the first 3 rows of tile with attached edges up against garage door for a precise fit.
Option #1: Female Edge + Tile
- Lift up tile and align the female/looped edge with the male/pegs of the tile, and snap into place.
Option #2: Male Edge + Tile
- Hover above and align the edge male/pegs with the female/looped of the tile, and snap into place.
Attaching the edge
- With pegs and loops aligned, begin by pressing the sides of the tile into the edge, working your way to the center. This may take a little pressure and you will feel a “snap” when the tile is attached to the edge.
*NOTE: Edges may have to be cut to fit within garage door rails.
- Resume steps 4-5 until the back wall is reached.
- Be sure to check the alignment of your floor as you progress.
- Cutting may be necessary along the back wall to complete install!
- All Swisstrax® products can be cut with an electrical saw such as a circular saw, jig saw, table saw, etc.
- A fine toothed blade is recommended.
*NOTE: When making your cuts, be sure to position your tile accordingly to ensure it interlocks with the rest of your flooring. Refer to the tool manufacturer’s safety guidelines.
*WARNING: Do not walk on tiles that are not interlocked together as they can be a dangerous slipping hazard. When installing your floor, be cautious of Swisstrax tiles placed on top of one another.